Research Topics & Ideas: Politics
100+ Politics-Related Research Ideas To Fast-Track Your Project
Finding and choosing a strong research topic is the critical first step when it comes to crafting a high-quality dissertation or thesis. If you’ve landed on this post, chances are you’re looking for a politics-related research topic, but aren’t sure where to start. Here, we’ll explore a variety of politically-related research ideas across a range of disciplines, including political theory and philosophy, comparative politics, international relations, public administration and policy.
NB – This is just the start…
The topic ideation and evaluation process has multiple steps. In this post, we’ll kickstart the process by sharing some research topic ideas. This is the starting point, but to develop a well-defined research topic, you’ll need to identify a clear and convincing research gap, along with a well-justified plan of action to fill that gap.
If you’re new to the oftentimes perplexing world of research, or if this is your first time undertaking a formal academic research project, be sure to check out our free dissertation mini-course. Also, be sure to sign up for our free webinar that explores how to find a high-quality research topic from scratch.
Topics & Ideas: Political Theory
- An analysis of the impact of feminism on political theory and the concept of citizenship in Saudi Arabia in the context of Vision 2030
- A comparative study of the political philosophies of Marxism and liberalism and their influence on modern politics
- An examination of how the Covid-19 pandemic affected the relationship between individual freedom and collective responsibility in political philosophy
- A study of the impact of race and ethnicity on French political philosophy and the concept of justice
- An exploration of the role of religion in political theory and its impact on secular democracy in the Middle East
- A Review of Social contract theory, comparative analysis of the political philosophies of Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau
- A study of the concept of the common good in political philosophy and its relevance to the ongoing refugee crisis in Europe
- An examination of the relationship between political power and the rule of law in developing African countries
- A study of the impact of postmodernism on political theory and the concept of truth, a case study of the US
- An exploration of the role of virtue in political philosophy and its impact on the assessment of moral character in political leaders
Topics & Ideas: Comparative Politics
- A comparative study of different models of federalism and their impact on democratic governance: A case Study of South American federalist states
- The impact of ethnic and religious diversity on political stability and democracy in developing countries, a review of literature from Africa
- An analysis of the role of civil society in promoting democratic change in autocratic regimes: A case study in Sweden
- A comparative examination of the impact of globalization on political institutions and processes in South America and Africa.
- A study of the factors that contribute to successful democratization in authoritarian regimes, a review of the role of Elite-driven democratization
- A comparison of the political and economic systems of China and India and their impact on social development
- The impact of corruption on political institutions and democracy in South East Asia, a critical review
- A comparative examination of the impact of majoritarian representation (winner-take-all) vs proportional representation on political representation and governance
- An exploration of Multi-party systems in democratic countries and their impact on minority representation and policy-making.
- A study of the factors that contribute to successful decentralization and regional autonomy, a case study of Spain
Topics & Ideas: International Relations
- A comparative analysis of the effectiveness of diplomacy and military force in resolving international conflicts in Central Africa.
- The impact of globalization on the sovereignty of nation-states and the changing nature of international politics, a review of the role of Multinational Corporations
- An examination of the role of international aid organizations in promoting peace, security, and development in the Middle East.
- A study of the impact of economic interdependence on the likelihood of conflict in international relations: A critical review of weaponized interdependence
- A comparative analysis of the foreign policies of the EU and the US and their impact on international stability in Africa
- An exploration of the relationship between international human rights and national sovereignty during the Covid 19 pandemic
- A study of the role of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAO)s in international politics and their impact on state behaviour
- A comparative analysis of the effectiveness of international regimes in addressing global challenges such as climate change, arms control, and terrorism in Brazil
- An examination of the impact of the rise of BRICS on the international system and global governance
- A study of the role of ideology in shaping the foreign policies of states and the dynamics of international relations in the US
Tops & Ideas: Public Administration
- An analysis of the impact of digital technology on public administration and the delivery of public services in Estonia
- A review of models of public-private partnerships and their impact on the delivery of public services in Ghana
- An examination of the role of civil society organizations in monitoring and accountability of public administration in Papua New Guinea
- A study of the impact of environmentalism as a political ideology on public administration and policy implementation in Germany
- An exploration of the relationship between public administration and citizen engagement in the policy-making process, an exploration of gender identity concerns in schools
- A comparative analysis of the efficiency and effectiveness of public administration, decentralisation and pay and employment reform in developing countries
- A study of the role of collaborative leadership in public administration and its impact on organizational performance
- A systematic review of the challenges and opportunities related to diversity and inclusion in police services
- A study of the impact of corrupt public administration on economic development and regional growth in Eastern Europe
- An exploration of the relationship between public administration and civil rights and liberties, including issues related to privacy and surveillance, a case study in South Korea
Topics & Ideas: Public Policy
- An analysis of the impacts of public policy on income inequality and poverty reduction in South Sudan
- A comparative study of the effectiveness of legal and regulatory, economic and financial, and social and cultural instruments for addressing climate change in South Korea
- An examination of the role of interest groups in shaping public policy and the policy-making process regarding land-use claims
- A study of the impact of globalization on the development of public policies and programs for mitigating climate change in Singapore
- An exploration of the relationship between public policy and social justice in tertiary education in the UAE
- A comparative analysis of the impact of health policies for the management of diabetes on access to healthcare and health outcomes in developing countries
- Exploring the role of evidence-based policymaking in the design and implementation of public policies for the management of invasive invertebrates in Australia
- An examination of the challenges and opportunities of implementing educational dietary public policies in developing multicultural countries
- A study of the impact of public policies on urbanization and urban development in rural Indonesia
- An exploration of the role of media and public opinion in shaping public policy and the policy-making process in the transport industry of Malaysia
Examples: Politics Dissertations & Theses
While the ideas we’ve presented above are a decent starting point for finding a politics-related research topic, they are fairly generic and non-specific. So, it helps to look at actual dissertations and theses to see how this all comes together.
Below, we’ve included a selection of research projects from various politics-related degree programs to help refine your thinking. These are actual dissertations and theses, written as part of Master’s and PhD-level programs, so they can provide some useful insight as to what a research topic looks like in practice.
- We, the Righteous Few: Immoral Actions of Fellow Partisans are Judged as Less Possible (Varnam, 2020)
- Civilizing the State: Civil Society and the Politics of Primary Public Health Care Provision in Urban Brazil (Gibson, 2012)
- Political regimes and minority language policies: evidence from Taiwan and southeast Asia (Wu, 2021)
- The Feminist Third Wave: Social Reproduction, Feminism as Class Struggle, and Contemporary Women’s Movements (Angulo, 2019)
- The Politics of Immigration under Authoritarianism (Joo, 2019)
- The politics of digital platforms: Sour Dictionary, activist subjectivities, and contemporary cultures of resistance (Okten, 2019)
- Vote choice and support for diverse candidates on the Boston City Council At-Large (Dolcimascolo, 2022)
- The city agenda: local governance and national influence in the policy agenda, 1900-2020 (Shannon, 2022)
- Turf wars: who supported measures to criminalize homelessness in Austin, Texas? (Bompiedi, 2021)
- Do BITs Cause Opposition Between Investor Rights and Environmental Protection? (Xiong, 2022)
- Revealed corruption and electoral accountability in Brazil: How politicians anticipate voting behavior (Diaz, 2021)
- Intersectional Solidarity: The Political Consequences of a Consciousness of Race, Gender and Sexuality (Crowder, 2020)
- The Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the Coalitional Representation of Latinxs in the U.S. House of Representatives (Munoz, 2019)
Looking at these titles, you can probably pick up that the research topics here are quite specific and narrowly-focused, compared to the generic ones presented earlier. In other words, to create a top-notch research topic, you must be precise and target a specific context with specific variables of interest. In other words, you need to identify a clear, well-justified research gap.
Get 1:1 Help
If you’re still feeling a bit unsure about how to find a research topic for your dissertation or research project, check out our Topic Kickstarter service below.