Research Topics & Ideas: Business
50+ Management Research Topic Ideas To Fast-Track Your Project
Finding and choosing a strong research topic is the critical first step when it comes to crafting a high-quality dissertation, thesis or research project. If you’ve landed on this post, chances are you’re looking for a business/management-related research topic, but aren’t sure where to start. Here, we’ll explore a variety of research ideas and topic thought-starters for management-related research degrees (MBAs/DBAs, etc.). These research topics span management strategy, HR, finance, operations, international business and leadership.
NB – This is just the start…
The topic ideation and evaluation process has multiple steps. In this post, we’ll kickstart the process by sharing some research topic ideas within the management domain. This is the starting point, but to develop a well-defined research topic, you’ll need to identify a clear and convincing research gap, along with a well-justified plan of action to fill that gap.
If you’re new to the oftentimes perplexing world of research, or if this is your first time undertaking a formal academic research project, be sure to check out our free dissertation mini-course. In it, we cover the process of writing a dissertation or thesis from start to end. Be sure to also sign up for our free webinar that explores how to find a high-quality research topic.
Strategy-Related Research Topics
- An analysis of the impact of digital transformation on business strategy in consulting firms
- The role of innovation in transportation practices for creating a competitive advantage within the agricultural sector
- Exploring the effect of globalisation on strategic decision-making practices for multinational Fashion brands.
- An evaluation of corporate social responsibility in shaping business strategy, a case study of power utilities in Nigeria
- Analysing the relationship between corporate culture and business strategy in the new digital era, exploring the role of remote working.
- Assessing the impact of sustainability practices on business strategy and performance in the motor vehicle manufacturing industry
- An analysis of the effect of social media on strategic partnerships and alliances development in the insurance industry
- Exploring the role of data-driven decision-making in business strategy developments following supply-chain disruptions in the agricultural sector
- Developing a conceptual framework for assessing the influence of market orientation on business strategy and performance in the video game publishing industry
- A review of strategic cost management best practices in the healthcare sector of Indonesia
- Identification of key strategic considerations required for the effective implementation of Industry 4.0 to develop a circular economy
- Reviewing how Globalisation has affected business model innovation strategies in the education sector
- A comparison of merger and acquisition strategies’ effects on novel product development in the Pharmaceutical industry
- An analysis of market strategy performance during recessions, a retrospective review of the luxury goods market in the US
- Comparing the performance of digital stakeholder engagement strategies and their contribution towards meeting SDGs in the mining sector
Topics & Ideas: Human Resources (HR)
- Exploring the impact of digital employee engagement practices on organizational performance in SMEs
- The role of diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- An evaluation of remote employee training and development programs efficacy in the e-commerce sector
- Comparing the effect of flexible work arrangements on employee satisfaction and productivity across generational divides
- Assessing the relationship between gender-focused employee empowerment programs and job satisfaction in the UAE
- A review of the impact of technology and digitisation on human resource management practices in the construction industry
- An analysis of the role of human resource management in talent acquisition and retention in response to globalisation and crisis, a case study of the South African power utility
- The influence of leadership style on remote working employee motivation and performance in the education sector.
- A comparison of performance appraisal systems for managing employee performance in the luxury retail fashion industry
- An examination of the relationship between work-life balance and job satisfaction in blue-collar workplaces, A systematic review
- Exploring HR personnel’s experiences managing digital workplace bullying in multinational corporations
- Assessing the success of HR team integration following merger and acquisition on employee engagement and performance
- Exploring HR green practices and their effects on retention of millennial talent in the fintech industry
- Assessing the impact of human resources analytics in successfully navigating digital transformation within the healthcare sector
- Exploring the role of HR staff in the development and maintenance of ethical business practices in fintech SMEs
- An analysis of employee perceptions of current HRM practices in a fully remote IT workspace
Topics & Ideas: Finance & Accounting
- An analysis of the effect of employee financial literacy on decision-making in manufacturing start-ups in Ghana
- Assessing the impact of corporate green innovation on financial performance in listed companies in Estonia
- Assessing the effect of corporate governance on financial performance in the mining industry in Papua New Guinea
- An evaluation of financial risk management practices in the construction industry of Saudi Arabia
- Exploring the role of leadership financial literacy in the transition from start-up to scale-up in the retail e-commerce industry.
- A review of influential macroeconomic factors on the adoption of cryptocurrencies as legal tender
- An examination of the use of financial derivatives in risk management
- Exploring the impact of the cryptocurrency disruption on stock trading practices in the EU
- An analysis of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and financial performance in academic publishing houses
- A comparison of financial ratios performance in evaluating E-commerce startups in South Korea.
- An evaluation of the role of government policies in facilitating manufacturing companies’ successful transitioning from start-up to scale-ups in Denmark
- Assessing the financial value associated with industry 4.0 transitions in the Indian pharmaceutical industry
- Exploring the role of effective e-leadership on financial performance in the Nigerian fintech industry
- A review of digital disruptions in CRM practices and their associated financial impact on listed companies during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Exploring the importance of Sharia-based business practices on SME financial performance in multicultural countries
Ideas: Operations Management
- An assessment of the impact of blockchain technology on operations management practices in the transport industry of Estonia
- An evaluation of supply chain disruption management strategies and their impact on business performance in Lithuania
- Exploring the role of lean manufacturing in the automotive industry of Malaysia and its effects on improving operational efficiency
- A critical review of optimal operations management strategies in luxury goods manufacturing for ensuring supply chain resilience
- Exploring the role of globalization on Supply chain diversification, a pre/post analysis of the COVID-19 pandemic
- An analysis of the relationship between quality management and customer satisfaction in subscription-based business models
- Assessing the cost of sustainable sourcing practices on operations management and supply chain resilience in the Cocao industry.
- An examination of the adoption of behavioural predictive analytics in operations management practices, a case study of the
- Italian automotive industry
- Exploring the effect of operational complexity on business performance following digital transformation
- An evaluation of barriers to the implementation of agile methods in project management within governmental institutions
- Assessing how the relationship between operational processes and business strategy change as companies transition from start-ups to scale-ups
- Exploring the relationship between operational management and innovative business models, lessons from the fintech industry
- A review of best practices for operations management facilitating the transition towards a circular economy in the fast food industry
- Exploring the viability of lean manufacturing practices in Vietnam’s plastics industry
- Assessing engagement in cybersecurity considerations associated with operations management practices in industry 4.0 manufacturing
Topics & Ideas: International Business
- The impact of cultural differences in communication on international business relationships
- An evaluation of the role of government import and export policies in shaping international business practices
- The effect of global shipping conditions on international business strategies
- An analysis of the challenges of managing multinational corporations: branch management
- The influence of social media marketing on international business operations
- The role of international trade agreements on business activities in developing countries
- An examination of the impact of currency fluctuations on international business and cost competitiveness
- The relationship between international business and sustainable development: perspectives and benefits
- An evaluation of the challenges and opportunities of doing business in emerging markets such as the renewable energy industry
- An analysis of the role of internationalisation via strategic alliances in international business
- The impact of cross-cultural management on international business performance
- The effect of political instability on international business operations: A case study of Russia
- An analysis of the role of intellectual property rights in an international technology company’s business strategies
- The relationship between corporate social responsibility and international business strategy: a comparative study of different industries
- The impact of technology on international business in the fashion industry
Topics & Ideas: Leadership
- A comparative study of the impact of different leadership styles on organizational performance
- An evaluation of transformational leadership in today’s non-profit organizations
- The role of emotional intelligence in effective leadership and productivity
- An analysis of the relationship between leadership style and employee motivation
- The influence of diversity and inclusion on leadership practices in South Africa
- The impact of Artificial Intelligence technology on leadership in the digital age
- An examination of the challenges of leadership in a rapidly changing business environment: examples from the finance industry
- The relationship between leadership and corporate culture and job satisfaction
- An evaluation of the role of transformational leadership in strategic decision-making
- The use of leadership development programs in enhancing leadership effectiveness in multinational organisations
- The impact of ethical leadership on organizational trust and reputation: an empirical study
- An analysis of the relationship between various leadership styles and employee well-being in healthcare organizations
- The role of leadership in promoting good work-life balance and job satisfaction in the age of remote work
- The influence of leadership on knowledge sharing and innovation in the technology industry
- An investigation of the impact of cultural intelligence on cross-cultural leadership effectiveness in global organizations
Business/Management Dissertation & Theses
While the ideas we’ve presented above are a decent starting point for finding a business-related research topic, they are fairly generic and non-specific. So, it helps to look at actual dissertations and theses to see how this all comes together.
Below, we’ve included a selection of research projects from various management-related degree programs (e.g., MBAs, DBAs, etc.) to help refine your thinking. These are actual dissertations and theses, written as part of Master’s and PhD-level programs, so they can provide some useful insight as to what a research topic looks like in practice.
- Sustaining Microbreweries Beyond 5 Years (Yanez, 2022)
- Perceived Stakeholder and Stockholder Views: A Comparison Among Accounting Students, Non-Accounting Business Students And Non-Business Students (Shajan, 2020)
- Attitudes Toward Corporate Social Responsibility and the New Ecological Paradigm among Business Students in Southern California (Barullas, 2020)
- Entrepreneurial opportunity alertness in small business: a narrative research study exploring established small business founders’ experience with opportunity alertness in an evolving economic landscape in the Southeastern United States (Hughes, 2019)
- Work-Integrated Learning in Closing Skills Gap in Public Procurement: A Qualitative Phenomenological Study (Culver, 2021)
- Analyzing the Drivers and Barriers to Green Business Practices for Small and Medium Enterprises in Ohio (Purwandani, 2020)
- The Role of Executive Business Travel in a Virtual World (Gale, 2022)
- Outsourcing Security and International Corporate Responsibility: A Critical Analysis of Private Military Companies (PMCs) and Human Rights Violations (Hawkins, 2022)
- Lean-excellence business management for small and medium-sized manufacturing companies in Kurdistan region of Iraq (Mohammad, 2021)
- Science Data Sharing: Applying a Disruptive Technology Platform Business Model (Edwards, 2022)
- Impact of Hurricanes on Small Construction Business and Their Recovery (Sahu, 2022)
Looking at these titles, you can probably pick up that the research topics here are quite specific and narrowly-focused, compared to the generic ones presented earlier. This is an important thing to keep in mind as you develop your own research topic. That is to say, to create a top-notch research topic, you must be precise and target a specific context with specific variables of interest. In other words, you need to identify a clear, well-justified research gap.
Need more help?
If you’re still feeling a bit unsure about how to find a research topic for your management/business dissertation, thesis or research project, check out our private coaching services below.
Need a helping hand?
See how Grad Coach can help you...
Great help. thanks
Your work is very educative, it has widened my knowledge.
Thank you so much.