Research Methodology Example
Detailed Walkthrough + Free Methodology Chapter Template
If you’re working on a dissertation or thesis and are looking for an example of a research methodology chapter, you’ve come to the right place.
In this video, we walk you through a research methodology from a dissertation that earned full distinction, step by step. We start off by discussing the core components of a research methodology by unpacking our free methodology chapter template. We then progress to the sample research methodology to show how these concepts are applied in an actual dissertation, thesis or research project.
If you’re currently working on your research methodology chapter, you may also find the following resources useful:
- Research methodology 101: an introductory video discussing what a methodology is and the role it plays within a dissertation
- Research design 101: an overview of the most common research designs for both qualitative and quantitative studies
- Variables 101: an introductory video covering the different types of variables that exist within research.
- Sampling 101: an overview of the main sampling methods
- Methodology tips: a video discussion covering various tips to help you write a high-quality methodology chapter
- Private coaching: Get hands-on help with your research methodology
FAQ: Research Methodology Example
Research Methodology Example: Frequently Asked Questions
Is the sample research methodology real?
Yes. The chapter example is an extract from a Master’s-level dissertation for an MBA program. A few minor edits have been made to protect the privacy of the sponsoring organisation, but these have no material impact on the research methodology.
Can I replicate this methodology for my dissertation?
As we discuss in the video, every research methodology will be different, depending on the research aims, objectives and research questions. Therefore, you’ll need to tailor your literature review to suit your specific context.
You can learn more about the basics of writing a research methodology chapter here.
Where can I find more examples of research methodologies?
The best place to find more examples of methodology chapters would be within dissertation/thesis databases. These databases include dissertations, theses and research projects that have successfully passed the assessment criteria for the respective university, meaning that you have at least some sort of quality assurance.
The Open Access Thesis Database (OATD) is a good starting point.
How do I get the research methodology chapter template?
You can access our free methodology chapter template here.
Is the methodology template really free?
Yes. There is no cost for the template and you are free to use it as you wish.